Keto diet is a low carb, but a high-fat diet that offers many benefits in terms of health. This diet not only helps you to lose weight but also aids in maintaining your health. Its widespread benefits help you to fight against cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s disease. This diet actually has moderate levels of protein which in turn helps you to burn fat more effectively. People who suffer from the disease of obesity are advised by doctors to follow a ketogenic diet. By following a keto diet you are more inclined to lose bulks of weight by curtailing the risk of many diseases.
The foods advised to follow in a ketogenic diet comprise meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, heavy cream, oils, nuts, avocado, seeds, and low carbohydrate vegetables. All the carbohydrates are excluded from the ketogenic diet like grains, rice, wheat, beans, potatoes, sweets, milk, cereals, fruits, and also higher carbohydrate vegetables.
Finishing things up, I put up a simple keto diet calculator, which is used to measure your nutritional needs on a ketogenic diet.Click here.
How does the keto diet work?
A ketogenic diet works on a principle where your body utilizes another fuel called ketones and it is produced from stored fat. The brain requires more glucose for its functioning (120 g) but this glucose cannot be stored as it is utilized constantly. During starving, a little amount of carbohydrate is taken inside the body. The body takes out glucose from the liver and temporarily breaks down the muscle to release the glucose. If this process continues for three days then the whole glucose is depleted and declined, the amount of insulin also decreases. The body now starts to use fat as a primary source of energy as fuel. The liver thus produces ketone bodies from fat, and they are utilized in absence of glucose.
When ketone is likely to accumulate in the blood, this is called ketosis. If the ketogenic diet is followed on regular basis, then the blood level of ketone should not reach a dangerous level. If it occurs then the brain will start to use ketone as fuel while the healthy individual will produce enough amounts of insulin to prevent excessive ketone formation.
4 Types of the ketogenic diet
Following are some types of ketogenic diets that will help you to adopt one of the following that suit you best:
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): It is a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, and high-fat diet. This ketogenic diet version will help you to reduce the bulk of the weight.
- Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (CKD): It includes the duration of high carbohydrate refeeds, like 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high carbohydrate days. This diet allows you to have a constant 5 days of ketogenic diet which is likely to produce efficient results.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): it allows us to add carbohydrates in workouts. Adding carbohydrates will help you to follow a ketogenic diet as your diet will comprise small quantities of carbs along with some proportion of fats.
- High Protein Ketogenic Diet: It is one of the standardized ketogenic diets as it involves higher levels of proteins but a lower proportion of carbohydrates.
Benefits of the keto diet
Many of you are still unaware of the benefits of the keto diet. Here are some of the facts that will help you to understand that the keto diet is the best diet to go for:
- Being low in carb-content keto diet reduces your appetite: Low carb diet is likely to reduce your appetite. High appetite is linked with more eating and more eating will lead you towards obesity. However, low carb content which is present in the keto diet helps you to reduce your appetite. A ketogenic diet is thus likely to reduce your weight by declining your appetite. It is very beneficial for weight loss purposes.
- Less fat will also help you reduce abdominal fat: Abdominal fat is the most resistant fat of your body that is very difficult to lose. This fat is mostly developed due to the high intake of carbs. A ketogenic diet has a high content of fat but very low cards. Therefore lower carb content is likely to reduce your belly fat which seems arduous to lose. Keto diet is highly recommended for those who are suffering from the problem of abdominal fat.
- Content of triglyceride is likely to drop suddenly: Triglycerides are the fat molecules that circulate in your bloodstream. They are rich in fat content and they are likely to increase the levels of fats in your blood which in turn is likely to increase the factor of health-related disease and also cause cholesterol-related problems. This level of triglycerides needs curtailment. These levels of triglycerides can be cut down by using a ketogenic diet, as the keto diet is likely to drop the level of triglyceride in your bloodstream.
- Level of high-density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) is likely to increase: High-density lipoprotein is often called good cholesterol and this good cholesterol is likely to decline the risk of heart-related disease. A low carb diet is likely to contain a large amount of fat and this fat is when present in form of high-density lipoprotein, it is likely to be considered a good one especially for cholesterol patients. Providence of fat is a quality of a ketogenic diet.
- Helps to reduce blood sugar and insulin levels: the ketogenic diet is also likely to reduce the escalated and elevated levels of blood sugar levels. It also helps to maintain and regulate the irregular levels of insulin. People who suffer from diabetes type 2 are most likely to have these problems. Adopting a ketogenic diet will help you to maintain levels of insulin. Those levels of sugar which are present at escalated levels are also maintained by adopting a ketogenic diet plan.
- Helps to lower blood pressure: Blood pressure is another major problem in most patients. Elevated blood pressure or hypertension is likely to cause many diseases; most of them are heart disease, strokes, and kidney failure. A low-carb diet is the most effective way to maintain blood pressure levels, especially for aged persons. The Keto diet is highly recommended for patients suffering from blood pressure problems.
The mechanism behind keto diet and weight loss
Most people are highly concerned with the idea that how a ketogenic diet helps you to lose weight. Here is a brief idea that will help you to understand the weight loss phenomenon in concurrence with the keto diet.
Higher protein intake: Most of the ketogenic diets are associated with elevated and high levels of proteins but with low levels of carbohydrates. When such a coupling is formed, it helps you to reduce weight.
Food elimination: Limiting carbohydrate intake also limits and restricts your food options. There is a greater option n reduction of calorie intake. When the concentration of calorie intake will decline, it will substantially help you to lose weight.
Glucogenesis: It is the process in which your body converts fats and proteins in carbohydrates to be used as fuel. This process requires energy utilization and additional calories are burned each day. A ketogenic diet is thus likely to decline the fat content in your body.
Decreased fat storage: some research suggests a ketogenic diet may reduce lipogenesis, the process of converting sugar into fat. When the stored fat content is declined in your body it will aid in weight loss activities.
Increased fat burning: Keto diets rapidly increases the quantity of fat you burn during daily life activities and exercises. Fat burning has been observed as a significant factor in weight loss which can be observed at significant levels by the effect of a ketogenic diet.
Improved insulin activity: Keto diets can improve insulin sensitivity, which can help to improve fuel utilization and metabolization. This is likely to reduce the risk of many diseases in your body like diabetes type 2 and kidney-related disorders.
Appetite-suppressant: Keto diets help you to feel full by eating less amount of food. It is supported by positive changes in hunger hormones, including leptin and ghrelin. When the hunger hormones will be altered, they will be likely to reduce your appetite which in turn will reduce your weight.
Improve metabolic health: Keto diet is also likely to improve metabolic health by enhancing the functioning of insulin, lowering the levels of inflammation, and promoting fat loss among others. When all these functions will be performed together it will not only lose weight but also improve your health.
In a be-all and end-all, Ketogenic diet thus helps you to reduce weight in the above-mentioned manner and it is recommended by most of the doctors especially to those patients who are suffering from cholesterol and heart-related problems. Patients with diabetes type 2 are also advised to follow a ketogenic diet as it will help them to regulate their insulin and blood sugar levels. It also helps to improve metabolism and is likely to act as an appetite suppressant. The body is also likely to decrease fat storage as the process of fat burning is accelerated. Higher levels of protein intake help to reduce fat accumulation on your body especially the belly fat which is considered as the most resistant to shed off.
Thanks for visiting and please comment below!
Below is a simple keto diet calculator, which is used to measure your nutritional needs on a ketogenic diet.
Heightmeters (e.g. 1.76 meters = 176 cm)
Specify the amount of daily net carbs you'd like to consume. Typically, 20-30 grams is recommended to start with.
Maintenance level is the level at which your weight remains stable.
|Your BMR is:||1536||kcal|
|Calories to consume:||2027||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||184||grams|
Sorry, cannot offer any weight loss suggestions. Please use the Custom section for weight loss macro targets.
Your body fat is too low. You should have a minimum of 3% body fat (essential fat you cannot lose). It is not advisable for you to lose any more weight.
Based on the amount of net carbs you specified, it would impossible to lose any weight. Please, reduce the amount of net carbs and try again.
Below is a range of calorie deficits to help you lose weight. For best results, it is recommended that you opt for a moderate calorie deficit of 10-20%.
Small calorie deficit (11%)
|Calories to consume:||1804||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||159||grams|
Moderate calorie deficit (22%)
|Calories to consume:||1581||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||134||grams|
Large calorie deficit (33%)
|Calories to consume:||1358||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||109||grams|
Below is a range of calorie surpluses to help you bulk up and gain muscle size. Keep in mind that you will need to add physical activity (weight training) in order to increase your muscle mass. For best results, it is recommended that you opt for a moderate calorie surplus of 10-20%.
Calorie surplus (10%)
|Calories to consume:||2231||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||206||grams|
Calorie surplus (15%)
|Calories to consume:||2332||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||218||grams|
Calorie surplus (20%)
|Calories to consume:||2434||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||229||grams|
Enter the calorie intake adjustment. For a calorie deficit (weight loss) enter a negative value (e.g. -10) while for a calorie surplus (weight gain) enter a positive value (e.g. 15). It is recommended that you opt for a moderate calorie deficit or surplus.
Custom adjustment (0%)
|Your BMR is:||1536||kcal|
|Calories to consume:||2028||kcal|
|Your fat intake should be:||184||grams|